Targeted Mold/Mildew Prevention Practices using Germbarriers
- Helping building owners and managers adopt targeted preventive mold and disinfecting practices means helping them to visualize the problem chains and understanding what disruptive steps can be taken to break such toxic mold/mildew chains.
- Recognizing the situations where harmful mold spores and microbes are most likely to be spread.
- Understanding what building surfaces are likely to cause the spread of mold, mildew and bacteria.
B. How can the Risk of the Transmission of Mold, Mildew and Infections in Building/Home Spaces be Reduced? GermBarriers Provides a Solution!
The traditional methods followed to clean mold spores out of the air in a building are (a) to reduce indoor humidity to 40%, (b) vent moisture generating sources to the outdoor, and (c) prevent mold growth on water damaged areas and items by cleaning and drying within 24 to 48 hours.
GermBarriers Germicidal disinfectants provide a further defensive barrier to reduce the seepage of mold spores and pathogens throughout a building. The patented binding technology and long-term mechanical kill reduce the number of mold spores found on walls, windows, furniture, and on room furnishings. The spraying technology allows protection to be delivered to areas that are hard to reach to clean, and difficult to see if mold is developing with excess moisture and poor ventilation.
Prevention is the best defense against mold developing on walls, in windows, on furniture, room furnishings, in HVAC equipment and in floor drainage areas. Indoor mold produces building material and wood rot.
B 1. Improved Surface Cleaning and Disinfecting using GermBarriers.
• Most surfaces in building settings are not properly disinfected. For example, studies in healthcare facilities have shown that more than 50% of the surfaces are not properly cleaned and disinfected. Reducing mold spores and other pathogen contamination is most often due to human failures in cleaning.
• With improper ventilation, and water leaks into structures, humidity in.buildings can be allowed to increase. Mold is developed on surfaces by mold spores coming into contact with damp environments.
• Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold.
• The mold spores can colonize (grow) inside lung cavities that develop as a result of chronic diseases, such as tuberculosis, emphysema, or advanced sarcoidosis. ... Invasive aspergillosis, the most severe type, occurs when the infection travels from the lungs into the bloodstream.
B 2. Addressing High Risk Areas
The most prevalent areas for toxic Mold and Mildew to develop include:
- Basements, bathrooms and kitchens
- Spacing between ceiling tiles and roofs
- HVAC Units
- Buildings /homes that are only used seasonally.
- Items left in storage accumulate mold and mildew, especially in damp, dark conditions.
- However, toxic Mold Spores are found throughout an operating building/home. Mold thrives in moist environments, and fabrics such as upholstery and bedding can absorb moisture from the air and provide an ideal place for mold and mildew to grow. Unknowingly sleeping on beds and sitting in furniture that can have mold, can be detrimental to health.
- Women and Children tend to get much sicker than Men in living in the same homes with toxic mold.
GermBarriers core technology is based on the use of quaternary ammonium silicone (“SiQAC”) compounds as the antimicrobial agents.
C. GermBarriers effectively disinfects and inhibits the growth of toxic Mold and Mildews. These results are based on its Chemistry Technology !
GermBarriers antimicrobial technology and compounds represent a new generation of antimicrobials. GermBarriers technology is based on the use of quaternary ammonium silicone (“SiQAC”) compounds as antimicrobial agents either in solvent or in aqueous and stable solutions. By making these compounds water based systems, they become non-flammable and require no solvents for dilution nor any special handling, are uniformly dispersible on almost any surface, and are simple and economical to use because of their extended shelf-life (at least a year vs. a week). Unlike similar antimicrobial products, these characteristics make these compounds and products ideal for use in a wide range of industrial and institutional, household, OEM, medical and food applications.
When the ammonium salts are reacted with certain organosilanes they form an integrated system, and when this system is applied to any surface, it forms an invisible (one molecule deep) and durable (through ion exchange and rapid polymerization) antimicrobial protection. These compounds possess powerful antimicrobial properties that make them very effective against gram-positive and gram-negative odor-causing bacteria, durable and long lasting for months, and valuable and useful for a variety of surfaces, substrates, instruments and applications.
GermBarriers antimicrobial technology and products have been employed to protect everyday consumer goods, or to protect almost any surface against odor-causing microbial contamination.
The primary core technology contains no heavy metals, formaldehyde treatment, or phenol groups. Unlike other antimicrobial materials, extensive studies performed in laboratories have shown the above chemistry does not allow or cause microbial adaptation, resistance, mutation, diffusion or migration.
It is significantly different from conventional sanitizers, disinfectants or biocides that are extremely toxic and contaminate the environment with undesirable chemicals. Some of the differences are in its chemical nature, effectiveness, durability and safety. This technology has a unique advantage over all previously known methods and applications: the antimicrobial component material is bonded to the cell or surface. Microorganisms are then destroyed by simple contact with the surface. GermBarriers antimicrobial products bond to almost any surface, creating unlimited applications for this breakthrough technology.
C 1. Mode of Action and Function
Silane Base – The first section of the long chain molecule is a silane base, which enables the antimicrobial to anchor securely onto the substrate. A covalent bond is formed slowly through hydrolysis reactions, providing long-lasting and sometimes permanent antimicrobial protection against a broad spectrum of single cell microorganisms.
Positively Charged Nitrogen – The second section of the long chain molecule is a bolt of electricity that finishes off any speared bug that survives the sword. A positively charged atom of nitrogen writes the bug’s epitaph. The negatively charged membranes of some microbes will be magnetically drawn to their demise. This mechanical kill negates the need for toxic chemicals.
Long Molecular Carbon Chain – The third section of the long chain molecule is the blade that initially comes into contact with the offending microbes. This acts like a sword that punctures the cell membranes of all microbes coming in contact with it.
C 2. GermBarriers Antimicrobial – Cell Inhibition Cycle
- Active agent attaches permanently to the surface.
- Micro-organisms contact the surface and they are destroyed.
- This effectively inhibits the further growth of micro-organisms.
- You now have a clean surface!
C3. US Patent Office Findings
“The present invention comprises methods and compositions for treatment of surfaces with compositions that are capable of controlling or killing a broad spectrum of biological agents, including viruses, bacteria, fungi and other microbial agents and rendering the surfaces capable of continuing to kill a broad range of microbial agents. The compositions are stable, durable with a long lasting effect, safe and non-toxic.” (US Patent Number 8999363 granted on April 7, 2015 ).
D. GermBarriers Low Cost Surface Application Systems
Spraying. GermBarriers has developed a process where its non-toxic surface disinfectants can be effectively sprayed using an electric sprayer to disinfect any enclosed space. The spray is attracted to all surfaces reached by air. Walls, ceilings, floors, furniture, furnishings are completely covered. An average room of 200 square feet can be sprayed in 30 seconds. The
GermBarriers disinfectant will attach itself to all porous and nonporous surfaces in the room, including textiles (curtains, sheeting, bedding) and upholstery coverings. Hard to clean areas, such as bacteria in HVAC vents and HEPA filters, can be reached using the electrostatic sprayer. At the slightest sign of excess moisture, the first step for mold removal or prevention is to use an oxidative remover such as hydrogen peroxide before applying GermBarriers. It is suggested that GermBarriers be sprayed twice during the first month of treatment and thereafter on a monthly basis. The spraying will not affect the ability to use the buildings as the nano film left on treated surfaces generally dries in less than ten minutes. Potential mold hotspots can be hand sprayed or wiped during normal cleaning.
By eliminating or reducing pathogens on surfaces, the risk of cross-contamination of germ and mold spore spreading through human hand contact is also reduced.
E. Hand Sanitation
80% of pathogen transmissions in a building occur by hand contact.
- Skin is not immune to mold growth. Many people aren’t aware that mold on skin is even possible. However, any growth of mold on skin can be dangerous.
- If a persons body is already dealing with a problem, such as an infection, reduced immune system, or other problems, the natural defenses are compromised, and mold is more likely to get a foothold on that persons skin.
- Don't Touch Mold. Some varieties of mold are infectious. These can cause skin rashes, irritation, and fungal infections on open wounds. One should never touch mold with bare hands or get it on your skin. Whenever you clean mold, protective gloves should be worn.
While GermBarriers presently does not manufacture hand sanitizers, it maintains business relationships with third parties that manufacture both high quality alcohol and non-alcohol based hand sanitizers. In structures with mold issues, hand sanitizing can provide an additional barrier to reduce the transmission of mold spores within the facility.
GermBarriers Product Cost:
The average Product Costs for using GermBarriers in a targeted mold and hygiene program are:
Germicidal Surface Solution Costs:
Per Square Foot Costs:
- Electrical Spray 2 cents
- Wipes 4 cents
- Hand Spray Bottles 5 cents
Hand Sanitizers/ Germicidal Soaps Costs:
Per Person Usage Cost:
- Wall Unit: 3 cents
- Desk Top Bottles 5 cents
GermBarriers. Fast Acting + Non-Toxic + Long Lasting
Test Data Supports Efficacy Results.
Made in the USA in Compliant FDA Approved Facilities.
Bottled in Connecticut